“They constantly keep improving”
The Norwegian company Steinsvik, specialized in products and solutions for the aquaculture industry, found in its strive to become a world-leading, technically advanced, and data driven company – an equal partner in Beijer Electronics. We have talked to Automation Engineer Øyvind Solli Koløen on why the partnership has worked out so well.
Steinsvik is world-leading in delivering products and solutions to aquaculture, maritime industries and the oil and gas industry, with a main focus on companies in fish farming. Steinsvik has offices and clients all over the world, and when we reach Øyvind Solli Koløen he is visiting their office and factory in Vietnam.
The world today is changing and becoming more and more connected, and most industries are developing and going through changes pushed by advancing technology. The aquaculture industry is no different.
– There is a desire within the entire industry to increase efficiency and further digitize processes to enhance production. We see a trend with our customers wanting more control of their facilities and possibilities for remote operation, says Øyvind Solli Koløen.
Can you give an example of the latter?
– Many of our customers are moving towards big data. For example, they want to collect information on the environment in their fish farms – water temperature, quantity of fish feed used, etc. They can use this data to analyze their production facilities and optimize their operations.
In which specific Steinsvik solutions are Beijer Electronics represented?
– Steinsvik supplies equipment essential for profitable, sustainable and safe operation of fish farms. We deliver complete solutions for efficient feeding of fish. Our central feeding systems use Beijer products, as well as the control centers installed on our barges, and the control systems for our filters and valves, products within our water engineering solutions.
Why did you choose Beijer Electronics?
– Before choosing a supplier, we had a thorough evaluation. Beijer stood out with a local sales- and technical team in Norway and developers in Sweden. Support cases are handled quickly, they work with us to solve problems, and find the best solutions within our framework. Also, Beijer uses CODESYS which means we can use our own software combined with their PLCs.
“Beijer always keeps developing their products, with constant improvement of their arsenal. For my team and I, what’s most important is that we can have a say in the development – Beijer listens to what we need.”
Øyvind Solli Koløen, automation engineer at Steinsvik
What is Steinsvik’s overall technology philosophy?
- We aim to be number one in the market. Through technology we wish to present innovative solutions to our customers in the fish farming industry. We do a lot of in-house development of software and technology, which is why flexibility from our partners is of high importance to us.
Why did Steinsvik choose HMIs with integrated CODESYS control instead of a traditional PLC?
– It is a flexible product which can be used in many different areas. Beijer always keeps developing their products, with constant improvement of their arsenal. For my team and I, what’s most important is that we can have a say in the development – Beijer listens to what we need.
What do you at Steinsvik expect from a business partner?
– A good business partner for us is someone who can help us become a better supplier, striving to become market-leading and being the best within their field, while also keeping up with developments in the industry.
How has the cooperation between Steinsvik and Beijer Electronics worked out?
– The cooperation is going great, and there has been an open dialogue all the way. Beijer have taken our questions, wishes and feedback seriously and have been incredibly helpful.